Originally Published March 23, 2015 by Fifty Shades of Mommy

I was asked to be a part of a ‘day in the life’ link up along with some other fabulous ladies: Krista from See you next Tuesday, Maria Fe from Hello Jack, Sara from Sara Dear, Alison from Mom in the Moon, and Cassie from True Agape. This is my first time ever doing this and I’m kind of nervous! My life isn’t that interesting! So what do I write about? I thought about what day I should use as an example and was going to do a day that I was off of work. But that’s only 2 days a week, the rest of the week I’m at work while my kiddo is in daycare. So I decided that since I’m a working (out of the house) mom, I should write about that.

Monday, March 16th, 2015

Lately it’s been hit or miss on whether or not I get a good night’s sleep since Leilani likes to sometimes cry out in the middle of the night. She’s not awake, but the sound wakes me up and most of the time I end up scooting over to her room in my half awake haze and popping her pacifier in her mouth to help soothe her. My husband can normally sleep through all of this and I’m so jealous of that. But if it happens more than once or twice, I wake him up to go do it since we are in this together.

3:30 a.m.

Leilani wakes me up with some mutterings in her sleep. I wait a minute or two and when she sort of cries out again, I do the mombie shuffle over to her room and pop her pacifier back in her mouth. I then mombie shuffle back to bed and lay down. The second I lay my head down, she cries out again. This actually ‘wakes’ my husband but I tell him to go back to sleep since I was already up and mombie shuffle back to her room and yet again, pop her pacifier in. On my shuffle back, I think ‘I should probably pee’ but decide to just go back to sleep. I lay my head down. At this point my nose, that has been super stuffed up all weekend, decides to run. Awesome. I get up, go to the bathroom, blow my nose, put eye drops in my super tired and really dry eyes, grab a cough drop to help with my cotton mouth from all the mouth breathing and get back to bed.

5:15 a.m.

The alarm starts going off. By alarm, I mean my husband’s phone. And he doesn’t always hear it, so it goes off for a while until he decides to hit snooze a bazillion times.

5:30 a.m.

Leilani starts making her ‘why am I awake’ moan from her crib. I swear my child hates the actual waking up process but still decides to get up at the ass crack of dawn. Or maybe it’s her protesting against the sound of my husband’s phone alarm going off…again. I get out of bed and walk to the kitchen to put a bottle in warm water and then to her room. I rub her back and quietly start to talk to her. She smiles at me without opening her eyes, an everyday occurrence. She is the cutest thing in the mornings. I unzip her out of her sleep sack and pick her up. She cuddles into my shoulder and continues to ‘talk’ to me. Morning snuggles are quite possibly some of my favorite moments of the day. I change her and get her ready for the day. Meanwhile, my husband wakes up and switches the water for her bottle and starts setting up my pump. If you didn’t know this about me, I exclusively pump. I’ll go more into detail about that someday in another post. I get all my snuggles and smiles in and then hand Leilani off to my husband who gets up almost every single morning with us to feed her. I then sit down to pump. Our set up? I sit on the love seat and pump while he sits on the couch and feeds her a bottle. Today she finishes her bottle before I finish pumping so I get some extra smiles from across the room – she normally like to putz around. My husband gets ready for work while I wash out pump parts and bottles and then we pack her up to leave. I get her lunch packed and her diaper bag ready and then they are on the road!

6:30 a.m.

My husband and Leilani leave the house. It makes me sad on days like today that I have to send her to daycare. She was super smiley and happy this morning and all I wanted to do was stay home with her and snuggle and play. Instead, I start the shower and the rest of my day. At the sound of my shower, my cat Romeo comes running to the doorway and if I don’t pet him, he makes this funny growling meow at me. So I pet him for a bit, and then try to shut the door. Which is when he pounces at me and playfully bites my leg. Yes, he is a weirdo.

7:20 a.m.

I leave for work – running a little behind. Work is literally 11 miles from my house but it’s going to take me forever today because I missed the window of good times to leave for work.

7:51 a.m.

I arrive at work. I normally try to get here around 7:30 but hey, it’s Monday. I work on websites; content, marketing, social media, etc. at a University. I log into my computer, post a new web banner that needed to be up first thing this morning and then I check emails, Facebook, etc.

8:30 a.m.

My boss gets in to work. Yay! No really, I mean yay! She happens to be one of my closest friends. We go to Starbucks together to grab some caffeine and I grab my second breakfast. I forgot to mention that the first thing I did when I got to work besides log onto my computer was to heat up a small thing of oatmeal. But I mean…bacon. We chat about our weekends and where we want to go for lunch and then I get back to work.

10:50 a.m.

I can’t stop thinking about food. Story of my life. Especially since I became pregnant and that transitioned into when I’m pumping. I’m like a bottomless pit. I also can’t stop thinking about how nice it is outside. It’s supposed to get up to 70 degrees today and the daycare lady is taking Leilani outside to play for the first time. I don’t get to push her on the swing for the first time and that makes me sad and jealous. I did ask her to take a picture and send it to me though – I may have a cry later on today.

11:57 a.m.

Time to scoop up my boss and get out of here for lunch! I can’t imagine where we’ll go – just kidding, we’re going to Jersey Mike’s…again…where we always go and I get the same thing. #9 Mike’s Way, light on the oil. Yum!

1:38 p.m.

It’s pumping time at work. I’m down to 3 pumps a day only so I only have to do this once at work now. It’s still awkward when someone keeps trying to talk to you while you’re basically trying to shove them out the door so you can get some relief. Thankfully, I currently have my own office and can quietly shut my door and no one even notices. In the past I’ve had to pump in an empty office with a cow sign hanging on the door (well I didn’t have to have the cow sign, it was just funny), or in my boss’s office. Some people thought that was odd but it started while she was on maternity leave and after she came back we just both pumped and talked. It was kind of nice. Neither of us cared that the other one was there and we got to have chats about anything, work or personal.

I just got a photo from my daycare lady saying that Leilani is having a blast and loves to be in the swing. I love this picture, but I’m super jealous. In my head though, I totally hear her squeals and giggles just by looking at this picture.

Anyway, back to pumping and making my grocery list – the hubby is stopping for groceries on the way home from work. Because he’s amazing πŸ™‚

3:57 p.m.

I’m excited to leave work at 4 and go pick up my peanut! This is the best time of day because no matter what happens during the day, when I pick her up, it all goes away. I can’t wait to be smuggled in her slobbery open mouth kisses! LOL! Then it’s a quick dinner tonight so I have time to get ready for book club and prepare some new food for Leilani – plus the husband has poker night tonight. Good thing those things are at the house! Busy, busy, busy!

4:30 p.m.

I get home and we get a little bit of play time with the kiddo. She’s extra smiley today and very talkative. I only get a half an hour with her and then it’s nap time!

5:21 p.m.

Finally…Leilani stops fighting it and falls asleep in my arms…ah nap jail. My husband ran and got us some Noodles and is home now so I want to eat. Lately though, I haven’t been able to put her down during this nap. Let’s see what happens. Success! She is peacefully sleeping in her crib and I get to eat my mac and cheese! I quickly put some eggs on the stove to hard boil for Leilani this week. She tried scrambled eggs this past weekend but I don’t think enjoyed the texture, so we’ll try the hard-boiled yolks tonight!

6:10 p.m.

Leilani wakes up from her nap. I get her in her high chair and she eats dinner. Tonight I mixed her zucchini with half an egg yolk and she also ate some apples with cinnamon. She’s such a good eater! I really hope she stays this way. Here are some pictures of her eating – she likes to have fun while she eats. LOL! Also, that second picture she got a puff in her mouth All. By. Herself. She was pretty proud of herself (and so was Mommy!).

I have to cut the cheese. No, really. I always have a tray of yummy cheese for book club. And leftover cheese, crackers, meat, etc. goes to the poker guys who happen to LOVE book club night.

7 p.m.

Book club members start to infiltrate my dining room. Snacks are out, wine is being poured, it’s going to be a good night!

7:20 p.m.

My husband gives Leilani her last bottle of the day and then rocks with her. He lays her down in her crib, hands me the video monitor and is headed to the man cave for poker night. Leilani puts herself to sleep by 8 p.m. It’s a good thing she can fall asleep to anything – because we were laughing and being LOUD.

9 p.m.

The girls leave after a much needed get together. Did I mention the name of my book club? Ya, we’re called ‘Reading Between the Wines’ – if that doesn’t tell you how fun we are, you just don’t get it. I take the leftover snacks to the guys – they are ecstatic. Then I head upstairs to pump my final pump of the day. While I pump, I watch today’s Y&R – blame my mom, she got me hooked at like age 5. I can’t seem to get up off this couch. I have a half a bag of gummy Lifesavers eaten and The Last Samurai is on and I want to watch it! But it’s getting late – the guys are still playing poker and I have lots to do. Ugh…

11 p.m

I have to wash bottles and pump parts from today and get Leilani’s food ready for tomorrow. 10 minutes in, I take a quick break to run downstairs to check the laundry that’s been in the dryer since last night. I start the dryer to fluff it up and then go talk to the remaining poker players. And then back upstairs to finish bottles and food.

11:30 p.m.

The guys go home and it’s time to get ready for bed. I brush my teeth, wash my face, etc. and then fold laundry. It’s now 11:54 and I’m finally laying down. At this point I may be over tired because I’m not really tired. My husband and I talk for a little bit and then sleepy dust magically hits my eyes and I’m out!

Whew! This post is loooooooooooooooooooooong! I only have book club once a month, but my husband has poker every Monday night so this is sort of a normal(ish) Monday for us. We’re busy bodies and by Thursday I’m totally wiped! We don’t even do as much as we used to. If you made it through this long ass post, thanks for reading!

What does your day look like?

Recommended Articles


  1. Way to go momma! I can only imagine how it feels to work and pump and all the other things that have to be done to be a working mom. You are amazing! It is great that you take time for yourself with the book club as well. I work from home so I am with my baby all the time, but last week my husband and I implemented one night a week he spends the evening with the baby and I get an hour to do whatever I wish!
    Thanks for hosting the link up with us!

    1. Aw thanks Cassie! I realized after writing this how structured my life really is! This was definitely a fun experience πŸ™‚

  2. How you survive on that little bit of sleep amazes me. I love the name of your book club! Do you always host or is it rotated between members?

    1. It amazes me too Sara. I feel like a Mombie all the time. LOL! Most of the time I host the book club. Sometimes, like next month, we do a dinner out at our favorite Tapas restaurant. Sometimes we go to other people’s houses. Right now my book club is being very accommodating since I pump.

  3. I can’t even stand how cute Leilani is. She is just such a smiley thing!

    1. Thanks Krista πŸ™‚ She does smile a lot. And she likes to make everyone around her smile and laugh too. I love that her personality is starting to come through!

  4. Your husband doesn’t sound THAT amazing πŸ˜‰ love the blog. Can’t wait to hang out with you guys again!

    1. Lol, I’ll tell him you said so πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to see you guys and meet that adorable little girl of yours! XOXO

  5. Look at her in that swing! How cute. My in laws have a similar one at their house. I’m thinking about getting on for our home.

    1. If I had a backyard I would totally get the swing! Guess I’ll be taking her to the park a lot this summer!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *